Reason #604

Today is my Grandad's birthday. Happy, happy, happy birthday! He has had quite the week. A few years ago, he was diagnosed with bladder cancer. He had surgery and went through some pretty serious treatments, however, the cancer has reappeared two times this year. And so Monday, he had a little surgery to remove a spot on his bladder, and he came through like a champ. Rumor around the town was that he was having his entire bladder removed, and so he surprised a lot of people by being at church this morning. However, if you know my Grandad, it would take more than that to keep him from going to church. That's one of his favorite places to be. And so I was thankful this week that he not only got through the surgery and had a great recovery, but I am very thankful that he is celebrating another year of life today.

My grandparents kept me when I was a little girl. Every day, my mom would drop me off at their house before going to work. And although I was only about 2 or 3, I still have a lot of memories from our days together. My granddad used to wear this blue robe, and that's the very robe on which I learned to tie bows. He would read my coveted Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes to me over and over and over again, even allowing me to infringe upon his moments of privacy to get in another poem or two. He taught me numerous songs, rocked me in his brown rocking chair, smothered me with love and attention, and was a perfect example of what a Godly man should be.

My first job out of college was in Levelland. I had a standing lunch date with my grandparents every Wednesday. His birthday happened to fall on a Wednesday that year, and my grandmother was feeling under the weather. We decided that we would meet up for lunch instead of eating at their house so she could rest. Now, I have a lot of sweet memories with my grandparents, but there are certain ones that really stand out. This was one of those. It was just the two of us on a Grandad/Grandaughter lunch date. Usually, I don't spend too much alone time with any of my grandparents, as seeing them in pairs is ideal, but I always enjoy the moments I do have them to myself. Because there's just something really comforting and enjoyable about talking with someone who loves you that much. Someone who is a part of you, you know. If they didn't exist, you wouldn't either. And so you're tied to them in a really unique way. I always hear grandparents make little comments about how great grandkids are, and being a grandkid, I have to say it doesn't get much better than grandparents.

So today, I have been thinking about my Grandad. Thinking about how grateful I am that he is mine. Thinking about all of the things I have learned from him over the years, both taught and exemplified. I've been thinking about what an impact he has had on my life, and how my life has turned out because of him. And here's what I've come up with. If you know him, none of this will surprise you. Because this man is consistent no matter what day of the week it is. His character is the same no matter who he is interacting with. And I would have to say that he is a rare find. A man who many people know, and one who none ever forget.

My Grandad is one of the most gentle, yet strongest men I know. He has such great faith, unwavering faith. He is wise, and He is fair. A man who has never been judgmental or elevated himself to a position higher than another. No, he loves equally and treats everyone fairly. And if he just met you, you'd never know it because he has a way of making you feel welcomed and appreciated.  He has never met a stranger, and he even treats them the same as he would a friend. He always has a smile on his face and a song in his heart. And if he's not singing praise the Lord, he is whistling it. He is a hard worker, always completing what he started. And he's smart, too. He has an answer for everything. Construction, relationships, finances, work, maintenance, yards, cars, ask him and he will know. He's trustworthy, and loyal, and as generous as they come. A true servant and prayer warrior who works diligently, honestly, and humbly to serve the Lord and those around him every day. He is a man of great love, great integrity, great strength, and a great legacy.

I've been watching him for 26 years now. Watching and learning, always amazed by him. By how much he trusts the Lord, how well he knows the Lord, and how much he reflects the Lord. And I couldn't be more grateful for all he has done for our family. For the example he has set, for the selfless love he continuously pours out, for the wisdom he has given, for the ways he has served us, and for the brave leader he has been for us.

So happy birthday, Grandad! I love you more than words could say, and I appreciate you more than you'll ever know. I am grateful to have another year of life with you, and I look forward to seeing what amazing things God has done for us when we celebrate again next year!

#604 - For another year with Grandad!

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.  Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness." - James 3:17-18



 
 

Comments

  1. Please tell your Grandad Happy birthday from Faye and Vernon Kidd, too. We think a lot of him also!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts