Reason #595

Every day this week has been "one of those days." One of those days where I wanted to stay home rather than go back to work after lunch. One of those days where I had the thought, "if one more person ____________". And every day I wished it was Friday.

I woke up feeling really emotional today, and I don't know why. My heart was heavy, my eye lids were heavy, and I my motivation was lacking. I didn't want to talk, I didn't want to work, I wanted to sit by myself and listen to family life radio. No lie. I wished for a morning where I could not be on display. Where I didn't have to plaster a smile on my face and keep a chipper voice. I just wanted a little bit of solitude.

My dad stopped by the bank after lunch, and I have to admit that it was the best part of the work day. My heart skipped an excited beat when I saw him coming through the front doors. I had someone at my desk, and I hoped that they wouldn't stay long so I could have a moment to visit with my dad. Thankfully, their request was easy and their questions were short. No one else was in the lobby, so my dad sat down and we just talked for a few minutes. It was exactly what I needed. Just a moment to sit at my desk with my dad and be me. I could set aside my "work face" for a moment and relax. Because my dad wasn't there to sort out all of his banking needs over the past year, take his financial frustrations out on me, complain about an issue, or vent about a previous frustration. He was just stopping by to say hi. He had no agenda, no problem to be solved, no need to be met, just a few minutes to chat, give moral support, dole out a good dad hug, and tell me that he loved me.

I praise the Lord for parents. You know, we grow up thinking that our need for parents stops once we get to college but if you're like me, its in college that you realize just how much you really need parents. I know not everyone has the same relationship with their parents as I do, but I think it's vitally important to have someone in your life who can encourage you, support you, give you wisdom and help, and will love you for you. Someone who will always be there, and someone who is on your side. And even though I only had a few minutes to spend with my dad, I felt so refreshed and encouraged. His presence alone simply did the trick. And as I thought more about this, I realized how often I miss out on finding peace in the chaos because I neglect the time to just sit with my Heavenly Father. I was reminded today of how important and refreshing it is to spend a few moments at His feet. Because it's there that we can be ourselves. We can pour out our hearts to Him, the good, the bad, and the frustrated, and we can find relief. We don't have to carry it around with us all day. When we feel low, and even when we don't, we can take a minute or two out of our crazy day and just soak up His presence. Allow Him to refuel our tired bodies and minds so that we can keep moving forward. And it works, it really does. Any time we spend with our Father gives us a new perspective and a revived spirit, and I am so thankful for that.

So it's Friday, thank goodness! And I am thankful for a visit from my dad at work today. I am also thankful for a Heavenly Father who is willing to carry my heavy loads. Who is willing to wipe away the mess of the day so I can start with a clean slate tomorrow. And I'm grateful that He always welcomes me into His presence. No matter what time of day it is, He's there to fill me up and send me back out full of His peace.

#595 - For a Heavenly Father who brings us peace in the middle of chaos.

“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid." - John 14:27

Comments

Popular Posts