Reason #607

I am really enjoying our Love and Respect bible study. I'll be honest, sometimes I have a hard time not taking things personally or feeling a little defensive about certain topics or comments. The truth is, though, that I can't argue with them. And after all, isn't that why we get defensive? We're challenged with truth and we don't want to admit or accept it. But challenges can be good for us. Challenges can be a driving force for change. And the way I see it, when we are presented with a challenge, we have two options. We can either rise to the occasion, or we can give up.

Maybe you're like me and so often you feel challenged to prove yourself to others. Prove that they were wrong about you. Prove that you are capable, competent, and able. Prove your worth and that you matter. That you can do it, whatever it is. That you are a successful fill in the blank. That you're valuable and needed, and most of all, that you don't need anyone else to do it for you. Because if you didn't do that very thing, whatever it is, you feel like you've failed, right? You feel like that's all anyone will notice and they'll think less of you for it. And, if you're like me, there's nothing you hate more than the idea of letting someone else down or not meeting expectations.

One of the things I really love about the Lord is how He pierces your heart with truth and revelation when you least expect it. You go before Him with an expectation of hearing or learning about one thing and leave with answers for something else. And for the first time in your life, you begin to see it. He peels back the layers and shows you more, and it makes sense. All of the sudden you see things in a different light and you're challenged to do something about it. But with that challenge comes action, and as we all know, changing your actions is not always as easy as it seems.

I struggle finding my place in the working world. I won't lie, this has been a challenge for me since the day I graduated college. I never thought this would be an issue. I thought I'd have a relatively easy time finding the perfect job pretty quickly. I figured I'd be decently successful. I'm not a genius by any means,  but I try to be a good worker. But the thing was, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. People would ask me what I was looking for or what kind of job I wanted, and I couldn't really tell them. I just wanted a job that I enjoy, that allowed me to use my natural talents and abilities, and something I could be good at. That's it. How hard could that be? But I looked and looked and I couldn't find a thing. Of course, when job hunting, you can find a million jobs your unqualified for that you'd love, but finding that right job is a challenge. And so I won't lie, I've felt defeated more days than not since I graduated college. I've felt insecure, inadequate, and unsuccessful because I feel I haven't been able to get anywhere. And so I've wondered why. Why is this so challenging, Lord? Why can't I make progress? It seems like I take one step forward and ten steps  back. What am I doing wrong?

But tonight, during bible study, I figured it out. Tonight, during bible study, it made sense. For so many years I've been trying to prove myself. Trying to prove myself to others and trying to prove myself to me. Trying to find worth in what I do, and all the while feeling completely worthless. But I realized that God didn't give me the heart of a business woman. Are you kidding me? I cry at the drop of a hat. I take things way to personally and am far too sensitive to bear the weight of corporate leadership. I know this about myself, too. I've never longed to be the leading lady, although I'd enjoy the paychecks and the accolade. But my heart's desire is not to live at the office, making a name for myself in the business world. My heart's desire is not to work, sell, and work some more. My heart's desire is to be a wife and one day a mother. My heart's desire is to create a safe place for my family, no matter how big it may or may not become. To cultivate a home filled with the Lord's love and presence. To be an example to my husband and future children, just like my mom was and is to me. To serve the Lord through nurturing and loving the people He has entrusted to me. That is my heart's desire, and that's where I feel challenged.

I fully realize that we can't have the best of both worlds, ladies. And truth be told, do we really want that? Do we really want equality in all things? Do we really want to challenge the institution of marriage and how God designed the roles? The author of our bible study had made a profound statement tonight by saying, "you can't have authority if you don't have control." And here is where I am challenged. Challenged to give up control of my life, of what I think society wants me to do, of what I think I am supposed to do. Challenged to shut out what the world is telling me I should do and listen only to what the Lord is asking me to do. Because I really do believe that we truly find success and satisfaction when we are doing what the Lord requires of us, and that looks different for everyone.

So maybe you're being challenged, too. Maybe God is asking you to look at something through a different lens, to change your ideas, or to give things up. Maybe God is asking you to stop trying to prove yourself to everyone else and just diligently live out the role He has designed for you. It's not a bad thing. Doing God's will is never a bad thing. It may look different. It may not be what you expected. It may challenge you, your thoughts, and your plans. That's okay. God has a will for each one of us. A desire to place us in certain roles for certain reasons. He knows what we can each handle, and no two people are the same. God's plan for my life doesn't look like God's plan for your life, but you can bet that both are good and both are satisfying. And so if you feel challenged, just lay it down. Ask Him to help you understand why this is so difficult, and then ask Him what you need to do to rise to the occasion. He'll show you. He'll even help you do it, you just have to trust Him. Because you can seek and search and try everything under the sun, but nothing is more satisfying than accepting God's will for your life and submitting to it. Because it's only then that you're most effective, that you're right where you need to be. And so I praise Him for meeting my deepest needs in the sweetest of ways by reminding me that, once again, I don't have to prove anything because my worth comes from the One I serve.

#607 - Because He helps us get through every challenge we face to get us where He needs us to be.

"May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed." - Psalm 20:4

Comments

Popular Posts