Reason #176

I was kidnapped in high school. Not that kind of kidnapped, fun kidnapped. My friend's aunt hosted a graduation brunch for us, so early on a Saturday morning a limo picked us up and drove us to her house for breakfast. "Awards" were given to each girl present, and I received the elephant award. Now, I realize you're thinking that was a rude move on their part, but it was all in good fun. The elephant award said, "An elephant never forgets... and we'll never forget your morning look." As with all kidnappings, we were caught off guard so we showed up in our PJ's with bed head. Now, I just so happened to be in a grade full of incredibly beautiful girls, and I'm talking natural beauties. These girls had long pretty hair, fabulous skin, and looked good with out without makeup. Needless to say, from the pictures that morning, it was obvious that I was the most deserving of the elephant award. And so, I happily posed with my award sporting a red tank top, grey athletic shorts, a lop-sided/half messy/half smushed pony tail and dark-rimmed glasses. I did manage to pop out my retainers before I left the house, so I will say my teeth did look pretty good in the picture.

Some things you never forget...

I went to bed last night feeling like a Leah. Although I was somewhat encouraged at what God had revealed to me through her story, I washed the make-up off of my face, wiped away the mascara from my eyes, and I felt even more like Leah. And so I laid in bed and made a simple request before falling asleep. A simple prayer but an earnest prayer. Well, in true Brittnye fashion, I rolled out of bed this morning at 11:45. I popped out the same retainers I had in the morning of the kidnapping, put on my metal-framed glasses, and headed into the bathroom. I took a look in the mirror at my incredibly messy, completely smushed and wild bed-head hair that was in desperate need of a root touch-up. And then I heard my phone ding.

A text messsge. 11:50AM. An "early morning" text message that came as a total surprise. A friend, who has become a fellow blog reader, sending me encouragement. A friend who read my late-night post and was thinking of me. And this sweet friend said exactly what my heart needed to hear. And even though he didn't know it, he answered my prayer request from last night simply by taking time out of his busy day to follow his heart and share his thoughts with me.

Some things you never forget...

I've been told a lot. I, myself, have said a lot. And some things just really stick with you. Words are said to you and you store them in your brain to play back again and again and again. Some words you want to forget, some you never want to forget. And isn't it interesting that they never comply they way you'd like them to? Why is it that we make a point to remember the sharp, cutting, painful words yet can't seem to recall the sweet, encouraging, edifying words? Well either way, I'm thankful for words because that's how we learn. I read His word, and my life is changed. I read the words of a story and they give me knowledge or teach me something I didn't know. I hear the words of a song and they lighten my mood and give me encouragement. I read the words on a text message from a friend and they turn my day around, answer my prayers and remind me of how blessed I really am.

And so the lesson we learn in life is that we must choose our words wisely because some things are never forgotten. And if you ever feel the need to share kind words with someone, to speak truth or love to them, you shouldn't pass up the opportunity because you never know how those words might very well change their life.

#176 - Words...because some things you never forget.

"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" - Psalm 119:103 

Comments

Popular Posts