Reason #197

I woke up this morning to sad news. A heart break for one of my sweet friends meant a heart break for me. And I hated that there was nothing I could do about it. I hated the fact that I couldn't supply sufficent words of comfort. I hated that I was too many miles away to give her a hug or some how try to bring a little light into her day. But I was thankful to be a part of her life. A big enough part that she would share such important, trusted details with me. And I was mostly thankful that she would allow me to walk though this part of life with her. Through a "down," that will one day turn into an "up" that we will celebrate!

A few hours later I found myself lounging by the pool, soaking up sun with another sweet friend. We talked through the past few years of our lives, through the ups and the downs, and we began to notice a pattern in them. We began to talk about how the "downs", although quite difficult and not the least bit fun, were some of the most productive times in our lives. We talked about how much we learned from our "down" moments and how they have shaped and molded us into wiser women. We talked about how, with every "down," we drew closer to the Lord. And we agreed that the "downs" really made for the best learning experiences, preparing us for better things. And we noted that the "ups" are made all the more sweeter because of the "downs."

So I thought about my "down" moments. About the strange patterns of ups and downs, and I thought about how long and hard every "down" is. I thought about how they drag out and how miserable one feels when being help captive at an all time low. But I realized that "downs" don't last forever. An "up" always, always follows a down. And I thought about all of the sweet people who have been on this rollercoaster of a ride with me. Those who have stuck in through the ups and downs. And plenty are the days that I am completely humbled when I think about the loyal, dear friends who could have, at any moment, exited this ride, but didn't because they wanted to walk through this crazy cycle of life with me. And I thought about how fortunate I am when my friends allow me to strap in on the crazy rollercoaster of their lives. Because the truth is, nothing is more exciting, nothing is more beautiful, than to see someone you love make it to that "up" after experiencing a "down" with them. What a blessing to witness, and what a blessing to be a part of!

Audio Adrenaline, a Christian group from the 90's, sang a song about "ups and downs," and the old, familiar chorus came back to my mind.

"I get down and He lifts me up..."  

What truth in such simple words. He lifts us up. When we're down, we we feel in the pits of despair, when there's not much good going on in our current circumstances, He reaches down and He lifts us up. Some times, it takes a while to get to that "up" but He always gets us there. And I am so grateful that "downs" don't last forever. I'm grateful that there is always, always an "up" side because we serve a God who "lifts up those who are weighed down." (Psalm 146:8) The weight might be heavy,  it might seem unbearable some days, but He is a God who makes good on every promise and is most capable of heavy lifting.

And so we go through the "downs" grateful that with each one we can learn, we can grow, and most of all, we don't have to go it alone. Because an "up" is soon to follow, and our lifter will get us there one way or another.

#197 - Because downs are temporary and ups are sure to follow each one.

"The Lord always keeps his promises; he is gracious in all he does. The Lord helps the fallen
and lifts those bent beneath their loads." Psalm 145:13-14


Comments

Popular Posts