Reason #173

Today is the 4th of July, and I see that this is my next to last holiday to get through. The last "first _____ on my own" holiday. I thought holidays would be hard. I really did. My parents decided to take a vacation this week. I depend on them a lot, and I mean a lot. I've depended on them to cheer me up and carry me through each holiday, and let me say, my whole family has done an exceptional job with that. But there are those little holidays, Valentine's Day, July 4th, Halloween, the little ones you celebrate but not really. Because everyone obviously always has their traditional game plan for the big ones, but what about the little ones?

I slept until 11:00AM this morning. Federal holidays mean bank holidays, so I have the day off. I would prefer to have a long weekend verses a day in the middle of the week, but I'm not going to complain. I rolled out of bed, that's right, even at 11:00AM I still have a hard time waking up, and stumbled into the kitchen to put my Eggos in the toaster. My phone rang and I looked down to see that my grandmother was calling. I've mentioned my grandparents here and there throughout my blog because they play such a significant role in my life. My grandmother is the epitome of a grandmother. She has the best smelling laundry, the softest sheets, can bake like no one's business, and always makes sure to have something sweet available when company comes over. In fact, I think I inherited my sweet tooth from her. Pretty sure of it! Anyhow, she was calling to see what my day looked like. She knew my parents were out of town and wanted to make sure I had something on my agenda. Such a sweet, caring and thoughtful woman she is, and I'm so grateful that my family is always thinking of me.

As I shared on Monday, I had already made plans for this week... last year. Last year, the Lord already had plans made for me this week, I just didn't know it. And I learned the same thing on Valentine's Day, too. Some times the little holidays are harder than the big ones. We expect Christmas to be the hardest but the little ones can be a challenge because it's easy to feel left out. And you look at pictures and Facebook status updates and realize that everyone else is making a big deal out of the little ones. Everyone but you, that is. So I figured this was how the little ones would be for me. I'd just have to grin and bear through each one acting as if it really wasn't a big deal although deep down it was. And when people would ask, "How was your holiday?" I'd just smile and politely, yet not honestly, say "It was nice."

But the Lord goes before us. He plans and charters our paths and it just so happened that Valentine's Day fell on a Tuesday and July 4th on a Wednesday. Not the weekend, but the middle of the week. And it also just so happened that I had scheduled plans both evenings. Plans that were scheduled in advance. He surrounded me with a group of friends, people I didn't even know last year, both nights. So, I didn't spend Valentine's Day alone at home and I won't be spending July 4th alone either. And I suppose the lesson in all of this is even if we feel alone, even when we feel alone, we never really are. Because that same God who goes before us, preparing the way, is the same God who walks with us every step of the way. Through the big holidays and the little holidays, He's there.

And so I look forward to celebrating tonight. I look forward to an evening full of fun and fireworks. And tomorrow, when my coworkers say, "How was your July 4th?" I can smile and honestly say, "It was really good!"


#173 - Because He takes care of every holiday, too!

"For I am with you, and I will take care of you. I, the Lord, have spoken!” - Jeremiah 1:19

Comments

Popular Posts