Reason #189

I went to see Batman tonight. I'm not going to lie, I was a little haunted by the fact that I was watching the very movie that a crowd of people were watching a mere 24 hours earlier when 12 people lost their lives. Today, I've felt a little nauseous just thinking about the tragedy that took place in Colorado last night. And truthfully, it's made me really mad. So I have to just get it off my chest. I have to put my thoughts into words. I get so worn down by the stories of lives being ruined due to the selfish actions and thoughts of others. And it's so easy to only think of ourselves, it's so easy to let our sin control us, and we forget that our sin never affects just us. It reaches further than we can even imagine, causing more damage that we may ever know.

And so I just get tired of it. I get tired of hearing how lives are devastated. I get tired of hearing about loss. Most of all, I get tired of hearing people question and blame God for all of it, too. And so I vented this frustration to my mom this afternoon because I just don't get it. We push God out of everything. We push Him out of our government, our schools, our lives, and then we wonder where He is when tragedy strikes. Where is He, you ask? Right where He's always been. Standing with arms open ready to come to our rescue. But why do we want Him only in the unexplainable, terrifying moments? Why are we do so quick to place blame on Him rather than on the sinless clumps of flesh that carry out these deeds? And here's the real kicker, why is it that we only blame Him rather than credit Him? Do you ever hear people praising God for finding cures to cancer, for healing the sick, for protecting people, for saving lives. Because let's look at it this way, in any tragedy lives are lost. But, not ALL lives are lost. Lots of lives are saved. So why do we choose to blame Him for the lost ones rather than praise Him for the saved ones? Why don't we ever stop and just thank Him for all of the good that goes on in this world. Because granted, there is a lot of bad, there is plenty of good. But it's easier to take credit for the good and blame someone else for the bad, and it breaks my heart that His own children, His own creation, do this to Him all the time. Really, I feel sorry for Him. Sorry that the creatures who walk around with lungs full of His breath, creatures who have heartbeats solely because He allows it, don't ever thank Him but rather blame Him for their own sinless actions. We live in a fallen world and it just keeps on falling.

I visited with one of my life-long friends in May. We don't get to see each other often, but when we do, we pick back up right where we left off. She began to tell me how tired she was of hearing bad news. She was tired of seeing her friends and family hurt. She was tired of watching people close to her go through such difficult circumstances. And she said, "I am so ready for Jesus to come back. I'm ready for this to be over."

And I thought about that statement today. I thought about how beautiful it will be when it's all said and done. I can't wait, either. I can't wait to be done with tragedy. I can't wait to be free of sin. I can't wait to be through with worry and fear. And most of all, I can't wait to just experience pure goodness and only goodness.

It's a tough world to live in. It's not easy, there isn't always a rhyme and reason to why things happen, and unfortunately, a lot goes unexplained. But here's the thing I love the most. In the end, it all works out. It won't be like this forever. One day, we'll be through with this mess. Devastation won't exist, pain won't be present, and there will be no more damage to be done.

And so if you find yourself feeling like me, feeling a little worn down and tired of the mess of life, be thankful. Be thankful that this isn't it. Be thankful that we've got good things ahead of us. And be thankful that one day, it will all be over and done, and oh, how good it will be to finally "dwell in the house of the Lord forever." (Psalm 27:4)

#189 - Because He's got good things in store for us when all is said and done!

"Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am." - John 14:1-3

Comments

  1. http://aminiatureclaypot.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/so-you-still-think-god-is-a-merciful-god/

    Similar to what you were talking about, from one of the witnesses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts