Reason #186

I came home from work with a huge headache this afternoon. I rarely ever have headaches, and I quickly realized it was because I hadn't had any caffeine today. So, after taking two Excedrin and drinking a big glass of tea, I took the opportunity to lay down on the couch and rest until it went away. I am a homebody. I do enjoy having things to do in the evening, but really, I'm completely content with staying home and doing nothing. Rarely do I ever get bored being at home alone.

I had hardly laid down on the couch before Scout came to join me. I should have named her Shadow because that's basically what she is. My little shadow. She follows me every where I go and always makes sure to keep her eye on me. If she knows I'm near, she doesn't let me get out of her sight. Scout and I do everything together, so she has become a very priviliged dog. Basically, she gets what ever she wants. That's what happens when you're cute and sweet, I suppose.

I've learned a lot from Scout. Really, I've learned a lot about love from Scout. Not only the love I have for her, but the love she has for me. This girl is always at my feet, and when I'm not moving about the house, she's in my lap. She greets me every time I come home as if she hasn't seen me in weeks. She lays as close to me as she possibly can every night when we go to sleep. It's like she can't get enough of me! And here's the truth, I eat it up. I absolutely love the fact that she wants to be near me constantly. I never get tired of her. I love feeling her warm little body against my back every night when I fall asleep. I love when she jumps up on my legs begging to be held. I just love the fact that I make her happy by simply being with her.

I bet this is how my Father feels about me, too. But I realize how often I miss out on joy and comfort because I'm wandering off doing my own thing rather than spending time in His presence. I am so quick to take my eyes off of Him and lose my focus. And I just thought about how at peace and how content Scout is when she's around me, as if she has no worries in the world. I bet I'd be the same way too if only I stayed at His feet as faithfully and loyally as she does mine. What if I didn't let Him out of my sight? What if I became His little shadow and made sure I was right by His side constantly? I bet I wouldn't have a worry in the world either if I made sure to get as close as I possibly could to Him.

And don't you know He just eats it up when we do? He doesn't get tired of seeing us. He doesn't get annoyed by our presence. But how often do we ask? How often do we go to Him simply just to be with Him? Because it seems to me that when we go to Him, when we need that peace and comfort that comes from being in His presence, it's because we're hurting or scared or because we're absolutely desperate for His help. And I know even then, He's still so thankful we're there. But imagine never leaving His presence. Imagine how content and full our lives would be if only we'd just stay near, stay at His feet, ask to be held... and then let Him do it.

So I'm thankful to serve a God who wants us near Him. I'm thankful that He desires for us to get as close as we possibly can and in fact, will pull us even closer than we can even imagine. Because it really is so incredibly comforting and good just to simply be in His presence. So I just have to believe that as happy as it makes our hearts to be close to Him, it makes His even more happy to have His dear children asking and wanting to be near. And nothing beats the feeling of being close to your Father, surrounded by His glorious presence, and realizing that when you're there, the worries of the world melt right away!

#186 - Because He pulls us closer.

"Come near to God and He will come near to you." - James 4:8

(And now, in true "mom-fashion," I must show off my Scout a little.)



Scout's morning pose


Scout's fuzzy nose


A trip to the car wash where she gets her favorite treats


Ready for bed


Enjoying a lovely evening post-walk


Helping me unpack from my trip


Keeping her chewstick near as she waits for me to finish my blog


Sweet girl!


Helping with bible study


Chick-fil-A also has her favorite treats (mine, too)

Comments

Popular Posts