Reason #180

I flew home from Austin this afternoon. I felt like I hit the ground running on Sunday morning and haven't stopped since. The good thing is, I am now home and only have one day of work left this week.

It's been a tiring week. A busy week, too! But it's good to be home. Good to be back in the dry, Lubbock heat. I drove home from bible study this evening and it was absolutely beautiful outside. Lubbock has the best summer evenings, hands down. Austin was beautiful and green, but there's just something about a West Texas sunset that makes this flat, brown, dry land quite appealing.

Wednesdays have become my favorite day of the week. Wednesdays leave me speechless. And every Wednesday, as I drive home, I think "it can't get any better than this." But every Wednesday it does, and I find myself thinking the same thing again.

Tonight, we talked about the transfiguration. Not an easy subject, that's for sure. Three of the disciples found themselves on a moutain with Jesus, "and as he was praying, the appearance of his face was transformed, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly, two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared and began talking with Jesus. They were glorious to see." (Luke 9:28-31)

Jesus is letting these men see a side of Him they've never seen before. These three men were given the opportunity to experience Jesus in a new way, a glorious way. He was giving them an insider's look. And as they stood there, completely awestruck, I have to believe that they thought, "It can't get any better than this." But most of all, as they stood amazed, I bet they were at a loss for words. Because how does one accuratley describe something that incredible? How can words even begin to sufficiently detail something so significant, amazing, powerful, life changing? And here's the thing, it got better. This wasn't the first time they got to witness Jesus do something amazing. They were no stranger to His incredible power. They had seen Him walk on water, drive out demons, raise the dead, feed thousands from a simple snack, turn water into wine, heal the sick, give sight to the blind, and don't you think each time they thought, "Wow! He really out-did himself this time. It can't get any better than this." But it did and it does. It's gets better. Because not long after this, He hung on a cross, spilled His blood for our sins, laid in a tomb for 3 days, and then defeated death by walking out of that tomb full of breath, 100% alive. And don't you know, as they touched those nail scarred hands, they thought, "There is absolutley no way it can possibly get any better than this."

I'm at a loss for words tonight because my simple, human vocabulary can't sufficiently describe what God is doing in my life. The things He's showing me, the way He's answering my prayers, the mountains He's moving, the path He's creating, the way He's pouring out His blessings over me, it's incredible. So I find myself awestruck and all I can think of is, "It can't get any better than this." How could it? But it does. Each day, each breath, it gets better. And with each step, He is letting me see a side of Him I've never seen before. With each prayer, each bible study, each sermon, He is giving me the opportunity to experience Him in a new way. 

And this is the God we serve. The One who really does make everything better. The one who cares so deeply for us that He takes the time to pay attention to us, to let us see His power in really amazing ways, and to leave us speechless because He is so good and gracious to His creation.

So I just can't believe it sometimes. I just can't believe that it could possibly get better. But I know it will because this the Savior of the world we're talking about here. The God who spun the universe into motion, the God who knows our heartbeats, the God who loves us too much to let us stay broken, hopeless, sinners, just keeps on out-doing Himself with each passing day. And the good thing is, that really, it only gets better from here!

#180 - Because He just keeps on making things better!

"Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you!" - Psalm 63:6

"A single day in your courts is better than a thousand anywhere else!" - Psalm 84:10

Comments

Popular Posts