Reason #187


I pulled my skirt on this morning only to find out how snug it has become. There is a significant and slightly upsetting difference between an intentionally tight skirt and an unintentionally tight skirt, and this one was not supposed to be intentionally tight. I was immediately frustrated, a little mad, and to top it off, I didn’t have enough time to change clothes before dashing out the door to work. Maybe I should have thought twice before I finished off the bowl of cookie dough that set in my refrigerator last night.

And so my morning was set in motion by this personally discouraging circumstance. Isn’t it funny how the little things really do it to us? Those little, insignificant things get under our skin and irritate us to no end. I was irritated. And not only was I irritated that my clothing was not cooperating as I would have liked, I was irritated that I didn’t get to bed as early as I hoped last night and irritated that I wasn’t getting to work as early as I had hoped either.

I quickly realized how much I needed an attitude adjustment. I knew it was ridiculous for me to be so upset over seemingly insignificant things. Really, holding my breath a little to zip my skirt isn’t the worst thing that’s ever happened to me. It doesn’t matter that I went to bed a few minutes later than I had hoped because I still got a good night’s sleep regardless. And, truthfully, as long as I make it to work at a reasonable time, I have nothing to worry about.

This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that’s getting to me lately
In the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I’m blessed
This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I’ve gotta trust you know exactly what you’re doing
Might not be what I would choose, but this is the stuff you use
To break me of impatience, conquer my frustrations
I’ve got a new appreciation
It’s not the end of the world…
Those words, from Francesca Batastelli’s song, began to play in my mind. It’s not the end of the world. Because really, I do forget how big I’m blessed. Blessed to have fresh, clean, new clothes to wear everyday when millions of people around the world are wearing rags if anything at all. Blessed to have easily accessible and good food to eat (even if it does cause my clothes to shrink) when a large percentage of the human race goes days without eating. Blessed to have an incredibly comfortable bed to sleep in at night when a majority of the world’s population is sleeping on dirt floors or sharing one room with their entire family. Blessed to have a fully functioning car to safely transport me to a job that I absolutely love when the unemployment rate is through the roof. I’m majorly blessed. Blessed big time! And I take it for granted so quickly by letting the little things get under my skin. One little frustration, one little irritation, and that’s all I can think about. If I’m being honest, ‘me’ seems to be what’s on my mind most of the time. 

So I was reminded this morning of my selfish perspective. I was reminded of how much I’ve been given, and not because I deserve any of it. I’m not entitled to have one bit of it, but rather God is so generous to pour out blessing upon blessing over me.

And so even if it is one of those days, one of those mornings where the little things seem to be getting the best of you, you resist sweating those little things and rather, you look at them as opportunities to remind you of how big your blessings really are.

#187 – Because He has blessed me big time!

“My cup overflows with blessings.” Psalm 23:5

Comments

Popular Posts