Reason #209

Dorothy was right, there really is no place like home.

I walked into my house this afternoon glad to be home, glad to be greeted by my friendly little dog, but I was exhausted. Last night, I actually got 8 hours of sleep for the first time in a long time, and I'm pretty sure I woke up more tired than I do when I have my usual 5-6 hour-sleep nights. A nap was in order.  A late afternoon nap. I threw on my sweat pants and crawled into bed. I pulled the sheets up close to my face, thankful that they didn't smell like bleach. Most of all, I was just thankful that they were soft and not scratchy. I was glad to have my pillow back. The pillow that I can scrunch just right so that it's perfectly comfortable. The fan blew cool air on me and I enjoyed the peace and quite of my home. The comfort, the familiarity, the smells and sounds.

I stayed in a nice hotel while I was away this week. The bed was a little hard and there was a gigantic cricket in my room, but aside from that, it was nice. It had all the ammentities I needed to feel at home, but it just wasn't the same. I missed my things, my space, and I was ready to be back to them. Ready to sleep in my own bed, shower in my own bathroom, eat from my own kitchen. Ready to return to what I know, what I like, what I'm used to.

It's nice to be away for a while. It's nice to have a break now and then. But ultimately, nothing feels better than returning home. Nothing beats the feeling of walking in to your house after a long trip and knowing everything you want and need is right there. Your things, your space, it's comforting. And I realized, half way through my trip, that I always start to anticipate going back home. It seems, to me, that the trip back always takes the longest, too. And why is that? Maybe it's because we're tired by the end of the journey. Maybe it's because we know where we're going and we're looking forward to it. Maybe it's because we realize that something good, something familiar, lies ahead.

So I think about my home, about how much I love living here, about how grateful I am for my soft sheets and my fluffy towels that smell like Downy, and I think about how good it is to be back after a long, exhausting trip. And then I remember that really, this is just my home away from home. My little space that the Lord has graciously blessed me with as I continue traveling along the journey of life. A resting place where I can lay my head, walls to protect me, ammentities to meet my needs, but temporary. And although I love it here, although I'm grateful for every square foot, I'm glad to know that at the end of this long journey of life, an even better home lies ahead.

Reason #209 - There's no place like home.

"But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness." - 2 Peter 3:13

Comments

Popular Posts