Reason #224

I drove home from Abilene today. Not the most beautiful drive, but it wasn't half bad either. Something about the sky was different. The lighting, I suppose. Gray clouds were scattered throughout, and it seemed a little darker. The sun was shining but not as harshly as a normal summer day. The temperature was cooler, and for some reason, it just felt like a fall day to me. A new season is near.

I learned this song when I was in college. I remember the first time I sang it. I remember how moved I was by the words, and I remember how it brought tears to my eyes. I made a point to learn this song, to belt it out every time I had the opportunity to sing it, and I held it near and dear to my heart. Last August, I sang this song in my home church and, if I remember correctly, this was the last song that I've sung there. Little did I know, as I was singing this song I had loved for years, that I was about to be challenged to believe it. I was about to be in the desert. I was about to really learn and experience God's full provision in my life like never before. I was steps away from entering into the driest valley I've faced thus far, and I was going to have to trust His provision in a big, big way.

Through it all, I felt the heat of the fire. The refining flame. And, truth be told, burning is uncomfortable. Burning hurts. Refining isn't for the weak at heart. But I prayed and asked for so much, I asked to be used, I asked for truth to prevail and for purpose to emerge. I asked to be changed, to come through stronger, better off. I asked for every bit of it, and the only way for it to be accomplished, for it to be authentic and lasting, was to turn up the heat.

And then the battle came full force. And He fought for me. I fought hard some days, but some days I just wanted to lay down and surrender. He reminded me again and again that I was more than a conqueror. He reminded me that He was for me, He was on my side. And so, although I was a bit terrified more often than not, we fought victoriously, hand in hand, one day at a time and we got through it.

Tonight I listened to the rain pour outside. I heard the thunder rumble and I was reminded of how big He is, how majestic! And I realized the season of harvest has begun. The seeds that were sowed are being reaped. But the harvest only came because the rains poured and I was filled. Filled to the brim and spilling over. And some days, the rains seemed more like floods. Some days, they showed up out of no where, catching me off guard. Some days, they were refreshing. But regardless, He sent the rain to grow the seeds. Seeds planted by fragile hands, teary eyes, a confused heart, and a hopeful spirit have produced a harvest of joy, of praise, of strength and of utter gratitude.

And here's what I learned through it all. In every season, He is God. In every season, we have reason to praise Him. In the driest of seasons, we praise Him because He's right there with us. In the rainy seasons, we praise Him because He's right there with us. In the pleasant seasons, we praise Him because He's right there with us. In the harshest of seasons, we praise Him because He's right there with us. A pattern emerges. In every season, He's there. He is still God!

#224 - Because He is God, always!

"But I am trusting you, O Lord, saying, “You are my God!” - Psalm 31:14

Comments

Popular Posts