Reason #228

My parents used to always tell me, "You'll just know." I hated that answer. Just know?! How do you "just know?" I need an explanation, a thorough one at that. Give me an example, something I can use as a measurement. Because I'm a girl who needs a sign. Always looking for that confirmation.

So I've wondered this a lot. Am I doing the right thing? Am I following the Lord's will for my life? Let me know, don't let me wonder. And if I'm not, change it. Shut the door. Don't allow me to take one step in the wrong direction, one step away.

But I often times feel so clueless. Some times scared to make a decision because what if it's the wrong one? What if I thought I knew but I really didn't know? And that "what if" can be a scary spot.

So as I've wondered, as I've tried to figure it out, as I've prayed for that "knowing factor" again and again, I began to notice something. A little feeling called peace was quite present. A busy life, a lot going on, but peace was prevalent. And truth be told, it was a little strange. No stress, no concerns, no worries. Smooth sailing. And I realized that it is all surprisingly easy. And maybe, just maybe, that's what they meant. Maybe "you'll just know " should be rephrased with " you'll just having a peace about it."

And sometimes that's hard to explain, I suppose. Because it's that "peace that surpasses all understanding." (Philippians 4:7) Really, I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't quite understand it. I don't understand how simple and easy it is. And I realize how often I have fought peace. How often I have waged an internal war because I'm stubborn and hard headed. And, oh, how I regret that. Because peace really is easy. Peace is enjoyable. It's not a riddle, no guessing game, it's not something He hides from us and only doles out when we are on our best behavior. No, this peace, He freely gives. And it's the clue, the hint, that you're doing the right thing. The confirmation that you're headed in the right direction. And my parents, they were right with their incredibly complicated and very vague answer. Some how, some way, you just know. You know because it's easy, you know because it's effortless, you know because you realize this is not anything you could accomplish or create on your own. And most of all,  you know because resistance and conflict have no place to reside when peace is present. What a difference it makes when you just listen and obey. How nice it is to be in the know. And I love the fact that Lord never hides anything from us. He never complicates the situation or makes it difficult. No, He desires us to have peace. He desires us to do His will. And so when you ask, when you seek, when you trust and submit to the hand that is writing your story, He'll make sure to give you a peace so that "you'll just know."

#228 - Because He gives me a confirming peace so that I "just know."

"Those who love your instructions have great peace and do not stumble." - Psalm 119:165

"Look at those who are honest and good, for a wonderful future awaits those who love peace." - Psalm 37:37

Comments

Popular Posts