Reason #227

Monday. A Monday through and through. In fact, I keep thinking it should already be tomorrow. A full work day. An early start to the day. But a surprise was inserted into my busy schedule, and I found myself seated around my favorite dinner table. An impromtu family dinner.

And three generations sat and laughed. My grandparents were coming in from a trip and happened to be returning around dinner time. My mom, being the organized and talented woman she is, was able to pull together a delicious meal and kind enough to include me. If there's one thing my family has down, it's dinner! And so I ate way t0o many tortilla chips, laughed until tears were rolling down my face, and enjoyed every moment of our time together.

My grandparents are like a second pair parents to me. These two have been ever present in my life. Growing up, they attended every school program, dance recital, piano concert, and cheerleading event I participated in. They are definitely the eptiome of grandparents, too. They have never once passed up an opportunity to spoil me with love, nor have they ever been too shy to brag about any of their grandkids.

I remember when I called them in October. My family talks. Should you tell one person one thing, the rest know by the end of the week. But they didn't know. My parents knew, my brother and sister-in-law knew, but they didn't know... yet. And so I stayed home from work that day. I couldn't make myself go in. I had to have some time to let my walls down, and I didn't have it in me to put on a brave face. But I remembered thinking I needed to tell them. Truthfully, I don't know why I had waited at all. Mostly, I knew I needed to tell them because I realized how desperately I needed their prayers. And here's the thing, if there are two people who are committed to praying for their loved ones, two people who will make it a point to petition the Lord, it's these two. And I needed it. More than ever, I needed it.

So the phone rang and she answered. Just like always, she picked up the phone and cleared her throat before she said hello. It didn't take long for the tears to start flowing. Rare was it to get a middle of the morning phone call from me, and before many words could come out, I realize that both were on the phone. Both were there listening intently. Both were there right when I needed them most. And it wasn't long before 3 sets of eyes were leaking salty tears. And it was so comforting to me. Comforting that I could call these people who have always been there. People who have loved me unconditionally, taught me so much about life and about the Lord, supported me through every stage of life, and cared for me so very deeply. And so I told them the news. I filled them in and the three of us cried. No one knew what to say, no one knew what to think, but we all knew what needed to be done and they did it. Faithfully, they lifted me up in prayer. Diligently, they prayed for their heartbroken grandchild. And I knew it was going to be okay. With family like this, I knew deep down that I had a real advantage. Some how, some way, the Lord was going to take care of this. Because prayers from such warriors don't go unnoticed or unanswered.

And so tonight, I was a little spoiled as I got them to myself. The only grandchild in the room, and I very much liked it that way. And as I soaked up the attention and love, I was just reminded of how blessed I am. How fortunate I am to descend from such an incredible bloodline. A line of people who openly and obviously love the Lord with all their heart. A line of people who live lives of integrity and upstanding character. A line of people who really know how to love, deeply love. And I praise the Lord for giving them to me. For planning so far in advance as to place me in this family because He knew so very long ago how much I would need them. What a good, generous God He is!

#227 - Grandparents.

"For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation." - Psalm 100:5

Comments

Popular Posts