Reason #219

I ask a lot of questions. Really, I ask the same question over and over because I just want to know. I love confirmation, knowing I am doing the right thing. And so I keep asking, "Lord, is this your will for me? Lord, please make your will known to me."

I sat in church today writing so quickly that I thought my paper might catch on fire. I didn't want to miss a word, and just to reinforce it in my mind, I made sure to jot it down. "It's not about knowing God's will, it's about doing God's will." But I get stuck on the knowing part. I just want to know. I want it to be so clear, so I give Him choices. Narrow it down, you know. Is it choice A or choice B? It's it this option or that option? Because I don't want to make the wrong decision and risk failing. I can't see what lies ahead, I can't see where I'm going half of the time, but He can. And so I keep asking. Make it known to me and then confirm again and again that I'm doing the right thing.

And so the pastor spoke words of truth and words of pratcial, common sense. I hung on to every word as if I had never heard this truth before. The thing is, I "know" this stuff. I know what the bible says. I know that God's will is we glorify Him in all we do. But do I really do it? Do I do what I know to do? Do I follow His will when He does make it clear? Because sometimes He does, sometimes not so much, but this part He makes clear, "whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)

In April, He made His will clear to me. It didn't make sense at the time, I wasn't sure how He was going to work it out or when He would, but He was making it clear that this was the direction He was leading me. The only thing left for me to do was to actually do it. Do what He was asking. I realized that the only way I would truly know if this was His will, and not a selfish ambition of my own, was to start moving in that direction. So I did, and I sat in a Sunday school room full of new friends today completely overwhelmed by what He has done these past 4 months. I went from sitting in a church office asking for the opportunity to lead a class of like-minded peers to actually doing it today. And as I sat in the church auditorium anxiously scribbling down notes, it clicked. This is how you know it. This is how you can tell you're doing God's will. When doors open with ease, when you have that deep seeded peace and assurance, when you're moving towards Him, when you're doing everything you can to give Him the glory, you're doing it. Because if you weren't doing His will, it wouldn't be so easy. And we get caught up thinking that God's will is hard. Sure, sometimes it's a little challenging, sometimes it's scary, sometimes it requires more obedience and sacrifice that you'd like to give, but when you're actually in the middle of His will, it's so easy. Truthfully, it's too easy. And I realize how often I haven't done God's will. I realized how often I've twisted and manipulated God's will so that it looks like Brittnye's will. Brittnye's completely crazy, totally flawed, shallow, defective will. And it was hard. It was really hard.

And so I'm grateful that He always speaks the truth to me to clear up confusion for a girl who can't think straight most days. I'm grateful that He makes His will known. And to be totally honest, I'm thankful that He doesn't leave it up to us to try and decipher. Because it's clear as bell. Bring Him glory, and you're doing His will. And just think, if we did this in every facet of our life, in every stage, in every circumstance, with every little decision, maybe just maybe we'd spend less time asking questions and more time doing what we know to do... glorifying Him!

#219 - Because He makes it "click" for me!

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." - Romans 12:2

Comments

Popular Posts