Reason #214

Is it really only Tuesday? I feel like we should already be to the weekend. It has been a day. A day and then some. And so I find myself finally laying in bed with a brain full of thoughts.

Today started out a little rough. A late(r) start to the morning than planned caused me to rush through my morning routinue. And so on the way to work, I alternated between eating handfuls of cereal and gluping down milk. There would be no time for breakfast at work today. And I just felt stressed. A little overwhelmed, too. And most of all, I felt out of control, which I hate. This Type-A girl likes to have a handle on things. I like for things to be neat and organized, emotions included. But I just couldn't do it today. My emotions were flying all over the place and I couldn't seem to get a grip.

So I rushed into the building frustrated that my work day was coming at me full force. There wasn't a moment to settle in or calm down. This was not the morning I needed today, not one bit. I uttered a quick prayer because I knew I needed to get a handle on my feelings somehow. I just so happened to look down and see that my phone was blinking. A pending text message. I opened it up and this was what I saw.

"So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong." - Hebrews 12:12-13

Get a grip! I heard it loud and clear. Get a grip! But it's so easy somedays to just let go. To let loose and forget. Hands slip, weak knees give out and holding on isn't quite that easy. Sometimes, truthfully, I think we just enjoy the fall. Our humanity takes over and, naturally, weakness sets in. And so we gripe and get frustrated. We throw pity parties and blow off an incredible amount of unnecessary steam in order to try and make ourselves feel a little better when really, what we need to do is get a grip. Grab on to Him! Don't let go! Because when our tired hands give up, when we lose that grasp, it can be real challenge to find it again. Some moments, I feel like I'm dangling at the end of the rope, but all I have to do is get a new grip on it. New, being the key word. Because obviously, the grip I had wasn't working. Obviously, it wasn't an effective grip or I wouldn't be sliding. So get a new grip. Reach up, sink your fingers in, pull with all your might and hang on. And when we take that new grip, when we reach up and tackle that challenge head on, we become stronger. Because, the truth is, it takes strength to hang on and it takes even more strength for your tired hands to pull you up higher.

But I realize that, once again, that it's never my strength pulling me through rather it's His strength, which is made perfect in my weakness. And so even though rope burn and finger cramps can get in the way and hurt sometimes, we can rest assured that when we hold on, when we get a new grip, He'll supply us with everything we need to overcome, to learn, and we will always emerge a stronger person for it.

#214 - Because He gives us the strength to get a new grip and hang on!

"I cried out, “I am slipping!” but your unfailing love, O LORD, supported me." - Psalm 94:18

"Give your burdens to the LORD, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall." - Psalm 55:22

Comments

Popular Posts