Reason #500

Half way through my smiles. Can you believe it? I can't! I wondered what 500 would bring. I imagined that it might be a really extraordinary day full of surprises. I thought that maybe something really amazing might happen on day 500. But so many amazing things have happened over the past few weeks, it would be hard to get any better. And so today was a Monday just like every other Monday. Uneventful, pretty slow, and nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing spectacular or super important happened. In fact, the only two things that I feel worthy of sharing about today is that I got my name changed on yet another bill and got a delicious 2-for-1 smoothie at the grocery store tonight. Those are the only two things I normally wouldn't do on a Monday. But even if it was just another day, I do think 500 is worth celebrating. And truthfully, it's probably for the best that today was a regular 'ol day because I've been inundated with new changes and exciting things since May began and I need a rest.

I used to could tell you every blog topic I had written on. By now, I've forgotten a few. But I haven't forgotten what I've learned over the past 500 days, nor have I forgotten any of the changes I have experienced. It's been a lot. I've learned so much about God and about myself, I've learned what I'm capable of, I've seen miracles and too many answered prayers to even count, I've lost a few friends but gained a lot of new ones, I've experienced heartache like I never imagined, and I've experienced joy like I never imagined. I have been stretched, pulled, challenged, refined. I have been tested, tried, and pushed to my limits. And although there have been times it seemed like life was never going to return to normal, or even get any better for that matter, it has. A different normal, but a good normal. And just when I think I have it down and change is past, something else happens. But that's okay. Because what I have learned over the past 500 days is that He never lets go. He is constant, the same, never-changing. He is loyal, reliable, trustworthy, dependable. And no matter what it is we are having to endure, experience, getting to enjoy, or having to overcome, He is still holding us in His hands. And so we never walk alone, we always have someone who is willing to stand by our side and who knows how it feels. Because Jesus, although He was God re-incarnate, was human. He cried, his heart was broken, he was tried and tempted, he knew betrayal. He understood what it was like to feel disappointed and discouraged, and He understood pain, too. And yet, even though He doesn't have to go through that again, He chooses to. He chooses to do that with us day in and day out because He is the God of all comfort, the peace that surpasses all understanding, and He is the good shepherd who always leads us to green pastures.

And so I praise Him for what He has taught me over the past 500 days. For the fun lessons and the tough lessons. For the painful ones, too. I thank Him that there hasn't been a day where He hasn't made himself known in some form or fashion. That He has always run to my aid, held my hand, given me courage, and wiped away my tears. That He has restored what was taken, doubled my blessings, and really taught me that He is all sufficient. And I can't wait to see what the next 500 days hold. Half way there, and this is not where I imagined I'd be. So I'm anxious to see the journey He takes me on for the last half of my smiles, and although I have no idea where it'll end, I know it'll be good.

#500 - For making it half way and all that I've learned thus far!

"The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever." - Psalm 23


Comments

Popular Posts