Reason #513

All day today, I have seen posts plastered on Facebook of how wonderful dads are. I've seen lots of cute dad/kid pictures, and I'm glad to see that everyone thinks they have the best dad that ever existed. So if you think this is going to be a post about Father's Day simply because it's Father's Day, then you are correct. Because, I, like everyone else, believe that I have the best dad a girl could ever ask for.

This morning in church, a man made a statement about fathers. He said, "Some of you are celebrating your fathers today. Some of you are remembering your fathers. Some of you have fathers you don't even know and some of you don't care to know your father." Of course, he ended this by pointing out that we have the ultimate father in Jesus, but I thought about how grateful I am for my own earthly father. And you see, dads are humans, too. They aren't perfect, they live life like the rest of us, just trying to figure it out one day at a time. But it's a choice to be a good dad. It's a decision one must make to have a good relationship with their child. And children, well, we aren't off the hook either. Because a father can love you to pieces but it's your job to accept it and then also return it.

I have a really close relationship with both of my parents. Love them to death! I've never thought ill of them, even during those "cool teen years," and I've always looked to them for guidance. I was thinking about my dad today as I was cleaning my house. Vacuuming alone with my thoughts and I was thinking about some of my favorite thoughts of my dad. I wrote about him last year on Father's Day, and I've told you a lot of really wonderful things about my dad. I've told you about how he can and will fix anything, how he has been an excellent provider and protector, how he is my #1 fan, he's dependable and loyal, trustworthy, and has upstanding character. He is wise and selfless and loving and honest. He's brave and strong and a man of his word. But today I thought about how my dad has always been by my side. Through every major life experience, he has been there for me.

I was born a C-section baby. My mom was actually put under anesthesia for the surgery, so she was out like a light. But my dad was there, watching in his blue scrubs. The first man to see me emerge into this world. To hold me, to comfort me, to celebrate my entrance. The first one to welcome me.

And when I was 7, it was my dad who sat next to me as I accepted the Lord as my Savior. The overwhelming feeling of the Holy Spirit brought me to tears, and he was by my side to witness me make the most important, life changing decision I would ever make.

And the night that my world was shaken, he was the first person I called. His deep, raspy voice answered the phone filled with concern. 2:00AM and he was confused as to why his daughter, panicked and in tears, was asking to come over. I walked into the house and melted into his arms. A new trend began and he reverted back into his role of being protector, provider, helper and encourager. A role he thought had been passed on had been thrusted right back into his lap.

A month before Aaron and I got married I was visiting with my parents about the wedding details. My mom said, "Is your dad going to walk you down the aisle?" I thought that was a strange question because who else would do that? Who else would I want to stand by my side, as I made yet another life changing decision, than the man who has been right by my side since day 1?

And so I could go on and on about how amazing my dad is. I could tell you about how he has sat through countless recitals, sporting events, cheer camps, school ceremonies, award banquets, and everything in between making sure to be there to support his children. How he has always put his family's needs above his own and never done so begrudgingly. How he has helped his family out countless times and continues to give of his time, energy, and talents. How he is not only an incredible father but a great husband, leader, father-in-law, son, brother, son-in-law and Grampy (to Scout and soon-to-be- baby dot). But really, when it gets down to it, I appreciate that my dad has been there no matter what. That he has made a point to be around not just some of the time but all of the time. Because the sad reality of it is that dads like that are far and few between. So I don't know how I ended up with one, or why the Lord chose to bless me with such an incredible father. But I am so grateful that I have the father I do have. A dad who made a decision to be a good dad, stuck with it, and followed through with his choice. He made the right choice, and I couldn't be more thankful for that!

#513 - For a dad who made the choice to always be there.

 
(Dad and his girls taking bridal pictures!)

 
(Coming to get the bride....)

 
(And keeping her dress wrinkle-free...)

 
Love you, dad, thanks for walking down the aisle with me!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts