Reason #510

I’m sure that if you’ve been reading my blog over the past month, you might have a moment or two where you wanted to poke your eyes out from the sappy-ness. I realize I’ve written a lot about marriage and Aaron, but I write about my thoughts, about what I am learning and experiencing, and marriage is the hot topic for me right now. My blog goes through phases, just like life. And life doesn’t always go like you expect it to. Neither does marriage.
 
Aaron and I struggle with expectations. We have expectations about how one another should act, react, respond, and perform. And even though we try really, really hard not to do that to one another, it inevitably happens. We even set expectations for ourselves, of how we expect our roles should go, and most of the time we come to the conclusion that we expected the wrong thing.
 
I am singing in a wedding on Friday night. This is my second time to ever sing in a wedding. The bride, who I refer to as my cousin, but she’s not really my cousin, asked me back in October. I’ve known for 8 months that this was happening. I knew the songs she wanted me to sing, and I didn’t think anything else about it until this week as I realized that I needed to get the music together so I could practice a bit before the big day. I am not a stellar musician. In fact, I really only know how to sing. And, truth be told, anyone can sing. I know enough about music to hold a decent conversation, but I quit choir in junior high and piano in middle school, so my abilities are limited.
 
I went to the bookstore on Monday to look for the tracks to these two songs and couldn’t find them. One song doesn’t have an accompaniment track what-so-ever, and the other one had this weird pan flute background music that was less that thrilling. I decided I’d go home and find something on the internet. Surely I could come up with something and over-night it. Wrong. And so I began to have a panic attack. I had 3 days to figure out what I was going to do, and I wasn’t about to tell the bride that my plans were not going as expected.
 
Aaron came to my rescue. He is super talented, and that boy can play the piano like none other. Luckily for me, he plays by ear. And so although he informed me that it was going to take quite some time to learn the songs, he had both songs down to a T within an hour, and my problems were solved. And so tonight, the Davis duo is headed to rehearsal to practice for tomorrow’s debut. And I couldn’t be more grateful for a husband who is willing to help me out in my desperate time of need. I appreciate his talent, but more than that, I appreciate his willingness.
 
This was not how Aaron expected to spend the evenings this week. The plan on Monday night was not to have band practice for most of the evening. But sometimes, as Aaron and I are learning, you do the things you don’t want to do for the one you love. I am all about cheesy sayings and, “team work makes the dream work” fits perfectly right here. Because we are a team. Sometimes, working together is easier than other. But as I told Aaron, I am glad we are on a team because he’d beat me at everything otherwise!
 
Here’s the joy of two are better than one. Two are better than one because two are more capable than one. Two are more talented than one. Two are more helpful, more successful, and more effective than one. And when can’t do something, the other one can. When one needs help, they have a helper. And when one wins, so does the other.
 
And I'm thankful to serve a God who will do the same for us. A God who sees when we have a problem and doesn't just say, "well, good luck figuring this one out." But rather says, "okay, let me help you. I'm on your team and I want to see you succeed. I want to relieve your stress and lighten your load." And so it may not be in the way we expect or anticipate,  but nothing is better than finding help at the moment you most need it.
 
And so I thank the Lord for being a helper and for giving me a helper. For the talents He gives and the opportunities to use them. And I praise Him that He always, always helps us find a solution to any problem that comes our way.
 
#510 - For a God who always helps us find a solution to any problem.
 
"But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!” But as for me, I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; you are my God, do not delay." - Psalm 40:16-17

Comments

Popular Posts