Reason #503

Last night's storm popped up out of no where. We spent the evening outside and it was beautiful. There was no sign of a storm, so I was surprised when thunder began rumbling. Of course, timing is everything and go figure that the storm started the moment I laid down to go to bed. Bright lightening, hail, torrential downpour, and raging winds. And it kept it up for almost 2 hours. Scout was snuggled comfortably on my pillow sleeping like a rock while I tried with all my might to fall asleep between each roll of thunder.

I've never been scared of storms. Truthfully, I like them. But every now and then a storm comes along that strikes a bit of fear in you. Last night was one of those storms. And you know, I think what made it most concerning was the fact that a few weeks ago, a storm hit Oklahoma that changed the lives of many people forever. A storm that caused a lot of pain and devastation. So I won't lie and say that my mind didn't entertain the thought that this could have very well turned into that kind of storm.

If you've ever lived through a major storm, you become wary of any storm that arises thereafter remembering well the storm that may have very well changed your life. When I graduated from high school, I went to Cancun with my family for vacation. We ended our trip with a hurricane. Hurricane Emily forced us to be evacuated to the middle of Cancun, which was more concerning than the fact that tropical storm was brewing. Anyway, while we were waiting out the storm, I met a couple who had experienced the Indonesian tsunami in the early 2000's. And even though a hurricane and a tsunami are two totally different things, I have to believe that couple was even more wary than we were of this pending storm because they had already been through worse. They had an idea of what was to come, and I bet you scenes from the tsunami played through their head.

Well I woke up this morning to gray skies. There were remnants of storm damage, thankfully, not much at our house. It was obvious a storm had blown through. Everything looked different than on a normal morning. Puddles gathered at the intersections, the ground was moist, the fences were wet, and the air smelled like rain. Something had happened the night before, and there was proof of it everywhere. But the day went on and the sun came out. It ended up being a beautiful day and the effects of this storm will be lasting as the grass already looks a little greener and the flowers a little fuller.

Metaphorically speaking, maybe a storm just popped up for you, too. Maybe it's one you've already been through or maybe it just reminds you of another one. And maybe you're wary, a little afraid, and you wonder how long it will last. How long are the winds going to blow, how hard is the hail going to fall, how loud is the thunder going to clap? Psalm 56:3 says, "When I am afraid I will trust in you." I think this is a good one to cling to in those storms. And just because one storm may remind you of another or seem even worse doesn't necessarily mean that's the case. Let it brew, let it finish, and wait it out. Hang in there and remember that we serve a God who calms storms. A God who stills them and speaks only peace. A God who is present during every single one, holding on tight and anchoring you until it passes. And remember the beauty that comes from storms. The benefits that show up after all is said and done. God doesn't send rain where isn't not needed, sometimes it just falls heavier than others. And so I praise Him for being there during the storm, for hold on tight when it seems too much to handle, for being faithful to calm each storm that comes our way.

#503 - For His faithfulness to hang through and calm the storms.

Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He calmed the storm to a whisper and stilled the waves." - Psalm 107:28-29

Comments

Popular Posts