Reason #506

There are a few annual events that happen in Lubbock of which I never miss. Parade of homes is one of them. I always look forward to June so that I can go walk through incredible homes filled with amazingly beautiful things that I will never own, and thus, develop a serious case of house envy. I love home décor and decorating. Truthfully, I have just told myself that I will no longer buy things for my home unless absolutely necessary because I'd drop a lot of cash on home goods otherwise. I love updating and getting new, shiny things. Following the latest trends. And when I look through Better Homes and Gardens magazines or spend some time watching HGTV, I start getting antsy to update or redecorate.

I moved into my house 3 years ago. It's a cute little house, too. But after walking through those homes in the home show, it pails in comparison. And so I find myself wanting more. Wanting new, better, bigger. Aaron and I found a house that we LOVED and would have moved into it in a heartbeat given the chance. And so I found myself daydreaming about this house. About how we would set it up. Where our furniture would go. Whether or not we would change the layout. But the truth is, we don't need it. We would like it, yes. But we don't really need it, and that's where the challenge arises.

Our Sunday school class started a new book called Radical. I read the first chapter last night, and I'm not going to lie, it was tough. I was challenged and convicted  and truth be told, I didn't really want to see it the way the author was explaining it. But he had a point, and he lined it up with truth, so I really couldn't deny it.

"So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own." - Luke 14:33

Go figure I would read this chapter after wanting to give up everything I own for more. For better things. For pricey things. For things that are just as much things as all of the other things I already have. And so I have really struggled with this verse, with what Jesus was requiring of his disciples. Jesus used metaphors a lot when He spoke. He gave examples and stories, but this isn't one of those occasions. He's not saying, "For example..." or "As a suggestion..." or "A good idea would be to...". No, He is stating it plain and clear. Give up everything you own. Ouch! But I like my things, my clothes, my furniture. I like my car, my purses and phone. I don't want to give these things up, and if I must do it, it's more of a trade in for something of more worth and value in my eyes. But I ask, is there anything more valuable than a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? Is there anything more important in this world that knowing and following Him? And so maybe what Jesus is saying is that if you are willing to put all of your things before me, to choose them over me, to seek after materialism before seeking after me,  and to pursue possessions more than a relationship with me, you cannot be my disciple. Maybe He means if you want to fill your life with  so many empty things and leave no room for me, you cannot be my disciple. And maybe that means we have to give up our stuff. Our dreams of a bigger home. Dreams of a nicer car, a cuter wardrobe, the latest handbag. A new pair of shoes each season, a bigger TV, a faster computer, the best phone on the market. Maybe that's where we are going wrong. We are too busy searching for, saving for, and desiring things over Christ, thus making it impossible to whole-heartedly follow after Him when our eyes are fixed on a million other things. 

So I don't know. I don't know what Jesus is specifically asking or telling or requiring, and my prayer is that He would make it clear to me. Because I love stuff as much as you do. I love beautiful homes, adorable clothes, sparkly jewelry and fancy cars. But I also love Jesus, and I would never want my love for things to be greater than my love for Him. It's tough. It's really hard to not be materialistic, and especially if you know you might could have what you want. But is it really worth it in the end? I suppose that what we each have to figure out on our own. Until then, I'll thank Him for the things He has blessed me with and do my absolute best to make sure they never come in first.

#506 - For the priceless relationship Jesus offers us.

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” "Which ones?” he inquired. Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,’and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’ “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?” Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven."  - Matthew 19:16-23

Comments

Popular Posts