Reason #512

Today is one of those days where I don't think I could possibly be any more tired. We woke up at 6:45 this morning to get ready for our garage sale, which went over decently well. The best thing about the morning was that it was cool and overcast making for a much more enjoyable experience. We came home and fell into bed. I love naps more than I should, and I slept so hard for 3 hours that I had a pillow line running down the whole side of my face for at least a good hour after. And so I woke up feeling like I had been run over by a truck. My head hurt, my face was sore, my eyes were burning, and my body was stiff. I had enough energy to pull my hair into a pony tail so we could go eat dinner before coming back home and getting right  back into bed. On days like today, with a messy house, a dirty car full of unsold junk, full laundry baskets, an empty fridge, and a long list of other little to-do's, I'm more than thankful that tomorrow is Sunday.

Scout was a hit at the garage sale. She was the greeter dog and, had we really been desperate to make a chunk of change, could have brought in the cash quickly. But when people jokingly asked "How much for the dog?" I told them she was priceless. We did contemplate renting her out or charging people a minimal fee to hold her and take a picture with her, as is the practice with the birds in Mexico. However, seeing as how a lot of people didn't want to pay the dirt cheap prices for our gently used items, I didn't think they'd fork over a few bucks for a picture with Scout.

A woman came by who happened to have bought a Morkie from the same breeder I bought Scout. Her dog was a year older and looked a little different than Scout. That's the joy of mixed breeds, you never know what they'll look like. Anyway, she was surprised to see that Scout had a tail. Her dog didn't have a tail and was a lot lighter. She also mentioned that her dog wasn't near as sweet and friendly as Scout, and she paid twice as much, too. And so we talked for second about how Scout was the left over puppy. About how she's different than the other dogs because she got to keep her tail. About how she was sold at a discount because she hadn't been chosen. Practically given away compared to the rest.

Scout is sweet. She has yet to meet anyone that she has not instantly won over. I realize that I am her mother, which may make me a bit biased, but I wouldn't say anything I didn't believe was true. And as she has been snuggled next to my shoulder for the past hour, I can't imagine that anyone would ever pass her up. That she wouldn't be chosen right away. That someone didn't snatch her before I could get to her. Yet, I think this is how we often feel in life. Because we may look a little different, and while everyone around us is going for the asking rate, we're left here waiting. Feeling unwanted. Why not us? Why don't they see our value? Why are we being overlooked when we know we'd be the perfect fit? We know we'd be exactly what they want if they'd just give us a chance. We'd be able to get the job done, live up to the expectation, make them happy, but it seems like the opportunity will never come to do so. If only they knew.

Well, I think this about Scout. If only people know what kind of dog she is, she would have been the first one picked. If only they knew how incredible of a companion she is, they would have gladly shelled out twice the price for her. But they didn't. They chose differently, and everyone else is missing out. I'm sure their puppies suffice,  but I know they pail in comparison to Scout.

Aren't you so glad God looks at us for what we will become rather than what we currently are? Because He knows. And sure, maybe we are different and we've got some growing to do. Maybe we are really imperfect and flawed compared to the rest. But God looks at the heart. He cares about who we are, about getting to know our hearts, rather than being fooled by our appearance and the fronts we often put up. Because God knows what He can do with us, what we're capable of, who we will eventually become, and that's what He values.

And so I think Scout and I are kindred spirits. I can relate to her in a lot of ways even though our worlds are different. Because I struggle with this more often than not. I struggle with worth, with value and comparisons. Yet I am thankful to serve a God who thinks differently. A God who knows me, knows my heart, and paid a really high price for me. Who sees me as priceless, fought to keep me, and holds on tight so that I am never snatched out of His hands.

#512 - Because He knows what we will become and values that more than what we look like.

"My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand." - John 10:29

 
(Simba Scout...as I sported an authentic Lion King shirt. I think she really has the look down!)

Comments

Popular Posts