Reason #507

I had déjà vu this morning on my way to work. When I took my first job out of college, I had to travel a bit. Now, it wasn’t anything serious. Twice a year I drove to random little towns in West Texas to do audits. It was pretty easy, but it was a full day event as nothing is very close in Texas. Today, I had to fill in at the branch in Tahoka. I haven’t been in Tahoka since then, but the town hasn’t changed much.
 
I  had a few minutes to kill so I stopped at one of the convenient stores to grab some coffee. The cashier immediately asked me if I was from Lubbock. The benefit of living in a small town is that everyone knows everyone, and she could obviously tell I wasn’t from around here. I thanked her for helping me and headed over to the branch. The morning teller knew every single person she waited on. And not only did she know them personally, she knew all about them. And so we chatted about small town things, about the home owned restaurants and which one was the best, and I spent the morning reminiscing about the past few years of my own life.
 
It doesn’t seem like it was that long ago I was driving to Tahoka to do an audit. I remember the trip really well for a few reasons. 1.) I ate lunch in the sketchiest place possible, fearing for my safety the whole time. 2.) I stopped in this cute little shop and found a bargain on some name plate stands. Anyway, it has been 4 years but it sure doesn’t feel like it. Four years full of some really incredible changes, and I had no idea what all life held in store for me those 4 years ago.
 
Today,  Aaron and I are celebrating our first month-iversary. I like to celebrate little milestones. Really, I like any reason to celebrate. And so we have enjoyed marital bliss for one whole month today. I can’t believe it, either. We were talking about our wedding day the other day and wishing we could re-live it again. It really was a perfect day, and I wouldn’t have changed a thing about it – rain and all. When Aaron and I got engaged I had some people ask how I felt about having a wedding. I heard comments like, “Is it strange to go through that again? Does it feel weird to you? Are you going to have a big wedding since you’ve already had one?” I knew people would think these thoughts and was slightly surprised that they voiced them, but no, it wasn’t strange to go through it at all. I didn’t feel the least bit weird or uncomfortable marrying the man I love, who is perfect for me, and celebrating it with the people I love. It didn’t bother me to invite others to witness one of God’s miracles as we vowed to Him and one another that we’d be faithful and loyal until we die. I won’t lie, initially, before Aaron and I got engaged, the idea of sneaking away to have a private beach wedding seemed like the best option. Mostly, I wanted that so people didn’t judge me or think tacky thoughts about me. But I realized it was silly to plan our wedding based on what other people might say or think. And so Aaron and I chose to get married in Lubbock, at the church that has become our church home, and yes, I wore an actual wedding dress. Because why not, right? Why should we have been stripped of the joy of a wedding, of celebrating this huge event with our families and friends? Why should we have had to feel like we couldn’t do this due to life’s circumstances? You see, a wedding is so much more than flowers and cake and decorations. Sure, that’s where the money is spent. But a wedding is a physical, tangible display of what God has done and is doing for us, for the church – His bride. For me, for you, and for all who will accept Him. He took a bride who was left broken, a covenant that was destroyed due to choices and sin, and God said, “You know what, I’m restoring you. I am coming back for you, my bride. I am not ashamed of you, and I am not keeping this a secret. I want the whole world to know that I have purified and washed you spotless, and I am making a new covenant with you. A forever covenant that will never be broken.”
 
God is a God of second chances, like I always say. A God who restores, and there is no reason we should ever feel as if we have to keep quiet about what He has done for us or not celebrate miracles when they occur. We shouldn’t hide God’s restoration process, we should share it. Because how beautiful and encouraging it is to see God working things out for the good of those who love Him. After all, if God didn’t want us to have the option to do so, He would have never given it to us in the first place.
 
So happy first month-iversary, Aaron! I love you and have more than enjoyed being your wife for a whole month now. Falling asleep next to you, even if you are a totally and completely restless sleeper, and waking up next to you as our annoying phone alarms interchangeably go off, is one of the sweetest realities I’ve ever experienced. I’m glad it will be the trend forever. I really, truly do believe, with all my heart, that you are the best husband who has ever existed. Thanks for proudly making me your bride. For being willing to give me a chance and for loving and accepting me as your own flesh. One incredible month down, a million more to go. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for our next month-iversary!
 
#507 - For month-iversaries!
 
"Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. One generation commends your works to another; they tell of your mighty acts. They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works. They tell of the power of your awesome works— and I will proclaim your great deeds. They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness." - Psalm 145:3-7

Comments

Popular Posts