Reason #355

Today was day two of my new job. As I was leaving on Monday, one of the guys said, "See ya later new girl." However, today, he greeted me by using my name and so I figured that was quite an accomplishment. Anyhow, the first two days have gone well. I will admit that I am greatly missing the feeling of being an "insider." I miss the familiarity of my office, of knowing every single person I work with, of knowing where everything is located, of knowing what the answer is... or at least how to get it... and of being known. But here I am, "new girl," and I don't really know much of anything right now. I'm learning and I am quick learner, but I still have a ways to go before I become an established asset.

In the mornings, as I'm getting ready for work, I look at Scout with envy as she is lying in bed curled up in a little ball. Oh, how soundly she sleeps snuggled underneath the covers. Somedays, I would like to be Scout because Scout's responsibility is slim to none. Scout has established herself around here and her surroundings won't be changing anytime soon. She knows the routine, knows what she's supposed to do, and honestly, she really isn't required to do much aside from pottying outside. She'll never gain any responsibilities, as her life is going to stay pretty constant. She is the sweetest creature to ever exist (not even being biased) and so she gets whatever she wants. Of course, it helps that she's incredibly cute. Anyhow, Scout has it made. No worries. Not a one. Easy life, and she never gets overwhelmed. Even when she gets a little worked up, I just pick her up, snuggle her and its as if all of her little problems immediately melt away.

I'll be real honest to say that I struggle with getting overcome by emtion pretty easily. I try really hard to not stress and just take things as they come, but the OCD in me just won't allow that to happen sometimes. And so, sometimes, just like Scout, I need to be picked up and snuggled. I just need a moment with Him. I just need a second to bury my face in His shoulder, let it out, and then be comforted. But God knows this. I don't really even have to say anything because He can see it. And it's amazing how God comforts us. Right when we need, at the very moment, He wraps us in His presence in such a remarkable way, and I love those moments when His spirit falls so heavily.

And so after a long day today, one that started quite early, I drug myself into the bathroom to wash off what little make-up was left on my face. As I've said time and time again, God always seems to speak to me through music. I'll admit that I'm behind the times. I know this about myself. I have an ipod dock in my bathroom, complete with a pink ipod docked on it. Of course, I use my ipod dock to listen to the radio. Does anyone else, besides me, do that? Probably not. The ipod is really just for decoration as I have not put any songs on it in about oh... 6 years. I don't even have itunes on my computer anymore. So yes, I'm behind times. But sometimes that works to my benefit, especially on nights like tonight. And so I turned on the radio and a song was playing. This is one of those songs that God has used to comfort me before. It's not a really deep significant song, but it's one of those that He uses to lift my spirits and encourage me. In fact, it's not even a popular song, and that's why I love when it's played. It's not just coincidence that it happened to be playing. But when it ended, I flipped on my ipod and found a song that I've loved for a long time. It's about being ovecome. A song that reminds me to only allow myself to be overcome by God's love. And it reminds me again of who He is. And it's in these moments that I'm so grateful I can come before Him and just be overcome by His love. I don't have to say anything, I don't have to do anything, I can just simply be me. I can unashamedly lay down my emotional, vulnerable, insecure, imperfect self at His feet and He'll pour His love out on me. And when He does that, it really as if my worries don't seem to be so big anymore. They begin to melt away and I'm captivated by this God who is so good to me. Who loves to love me. Who died to love me. Who seeks to comfort me and bring me joy. This God who is so kind and gentle to a sensitive soul and who is so welcoming of me everytime. I'm grateful to serve a God like that. And when I stop to think about it, I really am so overcome by His love for me!

#355 - Because I am overcome by His sweet love.

"Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he has done for them. Let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving and sing joyfully about his glorious acts." - Psalm 107:21-22


Comments

Popular Posts