Reason #377

Scout had her first training class tonight. Scout is two years old, and I've done her a big disservice by not teaching her a thing during these first years of her life. The whole reason I got Scout was to cuddle her. I intended for her to be a lap dog, and she has that role down to a T! Scout may not know many tricks, but she sure knows how to love. A few months ago, Aaron began working with her on "sit." I had never really tried this with her before because for some reason, I felt like I was being mean by making her do certain things. However, a time would present itself when I would really want her to "sit," so I'd tell her "sit" over and over and she'd just look at me in total confusion. Silly of me to expect her to do something she doesn't know how to do. Anyway, I enrolled her for classes a few weeks ago. I felt this was good preparation for us, as we'll be sharing the same space in a few short months, as well as a little family bonding experience.

The dog trainers prefer that only one person work with the dog, so I went along as the spectator. When we arrived, one of the dog trainers began to educate us on dog collars. She suggested Scout wear a pinch collars, and I was initially appalled that she'd even think to put such a contraption around my baby's neck. She began to explain that the collar doesn't hurt the dog, it just helps the dog to understand its boundaries. Of course, as Scout insisted on choking herself with her regular collar during this conversation, I didn't have much of an arguement on why she didn't need one. The trainer brought the collar over to just "try out," and it instantly made a difference. All of the sudden, Scout realized how far she was allowed to go and she quit choking herself. She straightened up, sat down, and patiently waited until we got up to move to the next room.

As with all training, rewards were heavily implemented tonight. Aaron had a pocket full of Pupperoni bites, which Scout would do anything for. I watched the two interact with one another, and I couldn't help but smile. Aaron would start to instruct Scout and if she did what he asked of her, she got a treat. This girl is one quick learner, and so it didn't take long for her to catch on. For a whole hour, she was captivated by him. She sat close beside him when the instructor was speaking , she stayed focused on him during practice time, she listened to him, and she obeyed him. As the instructor was giving directions, I would watch Aaron and Scout. She would just be sitting right in front of him, staring straight at him, and I thought my heart could melt. I wish I had a picture of it to share. For that hour, Scout couldn't have been more enthralled with him. Sure, she was being challenged (and occasionally choked), but she was building a deeper relationship with him. She was learning to trust him. She was learning to discern his instructions, and she realized that what she was doing was pleasing to him. And because of this, Scout was receiving some pretty awesome rewards in return which only added to the fun of the night.

We got in the car after class and we went on and on and on about what a good girl she was. (Yes, we are "those people.") We told her we were so proud of her, and we truly meant it. She knew it, too. And I thought about my own relationship with God. Sometimes we wonder why we have to go through certain trials or difficulties in life, but do we ever realize that God refines those He loves? He wants us to be successful human beings. He wants us to know His will, to understand His voice, and to discern His commands. He knows that true obedience produces happiness. And so sometimes, He has to give us certain parameters to remind us of that. We spend too much time pulling and choking ourselves trying to get ahead of Him when life would be so much easier if we took things at His pace and kept our eyes on Him the whole time. And when we do this, when we obey and listen, He rewards us. He showers us with blessings because it brings joy to His heart when we live a life that's pleasing to Him. And how rewarding it is simply to know our Master is pleased with us. That when He looks at us He is proud of us, of the progress we're making, of what we're learning, and of who we are becoming. That alone should be enough to spur us on to knowing Him deeper and walking closer with Him.

Scout has 6 more classes and lot of learning left to do. We knew she wouldn't learn everything tonight, and we didn't expect her to. She's got time, and we'll work on these things along the way. But I'm just proud of what she accomplished tonight. I'm proud of her efforts and her willingness to learn. And I think God feels the same way about us to. He knows we won't get it all down anytime soon, if ever. Some of us learn faster than others. Thankfully, He's more concerned about our hearts and our efforts, and much can be done when one has a willing spirit. And so I'm eager for Scout. I'm excited to see what next week's class holds in store. And I'm thankful that God can use even my dog to teach me lessons. To remind me to be patient and open to the things He's teaching me. I'm getting there, one lesson at a time. It's a good thing His patience is infinite!

#377 - Because He can accomplish much with a willing spirit.

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you." - Psalm 51:12

Comments

Popular Posts