Reason #363

There are a few unusal things in life that really get me excited. Silly things that probably wouldn't excite anyone else, but these little things really bring a smile to my face.

1. Making plans and penciling them in on my calendar.
2. Organizing...anything.
3. Bargains and good deals.

Get me discussing one of these topics and I'll not only talk faster but very animated as well. I've actually come across each of these three topics in the past two days. I got an exciting grocery circular in the mail today... buy one, get one free. It doesn't get any better than that people. I also discovered this incredible budgeting tool on my online banking site that I can hardly wait to set up. Last but not least, I got a new calendar the other day and began writing in any and everything I could think of that is going on for the next year. I realize this is the age of technology, but paper calendars will always have a special place in my heart. Anyhow, I love putting numbers to things. That probably explains some of my strange likings. And if you think about it, we pretty much always use numbers to relay important information.

When are you graduating school? How long have you lived there? How many weeks along are you? When do you start your new job? When is your last day at work? How many days until you leave for vacation? How long will you be gone? How long have you known so-and-so? How many months until the big day?

You get the idea. We ask a lot of time based questions. We want a measurement. Hours, days, weeks, months, years. I think we do this because we realize how valuable time is. After all, how many of us, when we were in college, were told to slow down and enjoy the experience? Did we actually listen? And don't we catch ourselves giving college studends the same advice we were given? Take your time. That's what I've heard my whole life. Rarely has anyone encouraged me to rush into or through any situation. And so, today as I filled in my calendar, I was really excited that in 4 months I'll be saying 'I do.' Four months from today is the big day, and I can hardly believe it. I think Aaron and I, at least once a day, mention the fact that we can't wait for May to be here and that we can't believe it's coming so soon. The countdown has begun. I can't tell you the number of days off the top of my head, but I can tell you that it can't come quick enough. If the next 4 months fly by, I won't mind in the least. But that's the funny thing about time. It never really does what you want it to.

I think we ask God a lot of time-based questions, too. At least I do. I ask 'when' and 'how long' all the time. I like knowing. I like have an estimation of how long something will take. I want to know what to expect and when to expect it. Truthfully, I'm usually asking because I want time to speed up. I just want to get there. I don't like waiting for long extended amounts of time, and I especially don't like waiting for good things. Now, give me something I don't like or want to do and I'll wait light years. But it's hard to wait for those good things. However, time really does pass quickly. And the thing is, we rush to get to things but God is already there. Where we've been, where we're headed, He is there. And He is preparing us along the way. With each day, with each circumstance and experience, He is preparing us. He's molding us and shaping us so that we'll be ready when the time comes. I have to remember that. I have to remind myself that there is value in waiting and in being patient. Because in those hours, days, weeks, months, and maybe even years, God is working. He is using that time to change our hearts, our minds, and our ways. He knows what we need when we arrive, and He knows how long it will take for that to come about. And so we must make the most of that time. We must allow God to work in our lives, changing and preparing us for what's to come. Because He's getting us ready. It's for our benefit. And it's amazing what God can do when you just slow down and allow Him the time to work. It's amazing how He really can change your life and prepare you for incredible things that you may or may not realize are just around the corner. So as excited as I am for May 10, I am excited to see what God is going to do in my life over the next 4 months. And I figure when God gives us any amount of time, we should really do our best to embrace it and enjoy it to the fullest.

#363 - Because He makes the most of our time by preparing us for what's next.

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9

Comments

Popular Posts