Reason #368

I just have to say I am really loving my job. I get to talk with people all day, and if you know me, you know that talking is my strong suit. Of course, I've been fortunate to work with really nice people thus far. I haven't had any angry or upset customers, and hopefully it will stay that way. I think probably my absolute favorite part of this job is getting to build relationships with people. I like knowing names and faces and a little bit about someone. You can never have too many friends!

A lady came in just a bit before we closed today. She was so sweet and friendly, and as she sat down to conduct her business I quickly found out that her husband had passed away. She still had her wedding band on her finger, and from her disposition, you would have never guessed she had just faced a tragedy. She had on her "work clothes" and looked so put together. After sharing with me what her needs were, I quickly realized there wasn't much I was going to be able to do to help her in the way she requested. I know the banking rules well by now, and I understand why they must be implemented in such a fashion, but today was one of those days I would have liked to have bent the rules were it feaseable. She understood, and I apologized that I couldn't do more for her. She looked at me and she said, "It's okay. This is just all so overwhelming." I didn't know what else to do. I felt so helpless because I couldn't help her. I wanted to do more, I wanted to say more, I wanted to try and ease her worry and lighten her day. I looked her in the eye and I said, "I am sure it is. I can't even imagine. I'm so sorry." Her eyes teared up and she began to cry. I tried my best to stay composed, but it didn't work and as tears began to flood my eyes I had to look away. I didn't mean to make her cry, and I didn't mean to cry either. But I don't think she cared. In fact, I kind of think she appreciated it in a small way. And as much as it hurt, I think she felt a little relieved. Because in that moment she didn't have to pretend to be brave. She didn't have to pretend like everything was okay. It wasn't okay, it was hard. I understood.

I remember being in her seat but for different reasons. I remember walking into the bank and sitting at the personal banker's desk asking to close out my account. I tried to stay composed, too and I did for the most part. It was rough. Thankfully, my dad showed up half way through and I had some moral support. But it sure makes for an awkward setting. And the thing is, what do you say to someone who is only in your presence because of a sad situation? That's the million dollar question. Because there isn't a thing you can say that's going to make them feel better right then and there. Nothing you say will make it okay or make it any easier for that matter. But maybe the trick isn't to say anything. Maybe it is simply enough to be understanding. You don't have to understand what they feel or what they're going through, but understand that it is hard. Understand that it's not easy. Understand that no matter how composed they appear on the outside, the inside probably isn't matching up. Just be understanding. Really, that's all we need anyway.

Well, I did as much as I could for her and as she stood to leave, she stuck out her hand to shake mine. I had decided long before we parted that she wasn't getting away without a hug. She needed one, and I needed to give her one. And so I just embraced her. I definitely think I caught her off guard, but I just wanted her to know that I understood. She didn't have any moral support there with her, no one to hold her hand or encourage her as she spoke, and so I just wanted her to know she had my support. I am a hugger but try to refrain from hugging strangers, however, I believe if a hug is necessary, a hug should be given. I don't know if it made a difference, I don't know if it helped at all, but I sure hope it did. It definitely helped me.

And I just thought about how grateful I am to serve a God who understands. A God who will sit with us and let us just be ourselves. We don't have to put on our brave face and pretend all is okay, rather we can just let it all show and He understands. It doesn't make Him feel awkward, and it doesn't make for a strange setting. He just listens and when we need it, He wraps us up and reminds us that He's there for us. What joy in knowing that God is always there to support and uphold us. And so I thank Him for doing that for me. For not only doing it Himself but for surrounding me with others who did the same. And I praise Him for comforting me in such mighty ways so that I could extend a little bit of His comfort to someone else today.

#368 - Because He comforts us and uses us to comfort one another.

"All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us." - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Comments

Popular Posts