Reason #369

Sometimes it's kind of hard to find the positive side of things. I haven't really kept up with the news in the past 3 weeks, and I'm kind of glad I haven't. The bits and pieces I've heard here and there frustrate me to no end. And I'm realizing that the problem lies in the decisions people make on behalf of others. But here's the unfortunate thing, plenty are the times in life when decisions are made for us and we just don't get to have a say about it.

I think we would all consider ourselves good decision makers, right? Sure, we've all made bad decisions now and then, but over all, we usually feel like we make the best decisions. No one ever says, "Don't let me decide what to do. I always pick the wrong thing and habitually make poor choices." We've made decisions that we thought were really good at the time, only to find out later that they were horrible decisions. We've also made decisions that we were not really sure of only to realize they were some of the best decisions we could have made. We've decided things that have affected only ourselves, and we've made decisions that have had a greater affect on more people than we would have ever realized. But when it comes down to it, all human decisions are selfishly made. The decider is viewing things from their personal standpoint. The decider has control over what they do or don't do and the one(s) being affected don't always get a say. Sometimes, you just have to go with it whether or not you like it. And maybe, deep down, you know that it's not the best decision but what else is there to do?

I don't really like for people to make decisions on my behalf. After all, no one on this planet knows me better than I know myself. I suppose that's the case for all of us. And, if you're like me, you try to make decisions that will better you. Decisions that work in your favor. This has been the trend I've tried to follow throughout life, so I've done my best to choose as wisely as possible. I've weighed my options, sought out advice, and then picked the best route. But sometimes, along the way, kinks are thrown in. Unexpected little things that just irk you to no end. You made a decision in confidence, you stuck with it, and now another decision has been presented yet it's not up to you to decide.

Along the way, I lost my confidence in decision making. Along the way, I lost my confidence in other things, too. I've noticed that the enemy tries to use this to his advantage. Fear making a decision so that no decision is made. But isn't choosing to not make a decision actually making a decision in itself? I doubted myself. I doubted my abilities and so my prayer was simply that God would make them for me. I trusted Him way more than I trusted myself, and I realized that God only makes good decisions. I'll admit that there were times I didn't like what transpired. When I totally submitted the decision making process to Him, I didn't have a say in the matter and it was harder than I thought it would be. But God is faithful and He has used all of my decisions, good or bad, to bring glory to His name. He's woven them in such an incredible way that some of those bad decisions have turned into the best thing that's ever happened to me. And when I let go and let Him decide, it was amazing what happened. Because He knows me better than I know myself and so He makes decisions that will help me, not hinder me. Decisions that will further me and free me. Decisions that will bring life and joy.

So we can't always trust that we, ourselves, will make the best decisions. We can't trust that others will make the best decisions on our behalf. But we can trust that God is looking out for us. He will always make the best decisions for our lives. And if we allow Him to, He'll take all of those decisions, small, big, good, bad, and He'll use them in a mighty way. It really is amazing how He can use one little decision to make such a grand impact.

#369 - Because He decides what's best for us.

"So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves." - Galatians 5:16

Comments

Popular Posts