Reason #367

I went to work at 8:00AM this morning and the next thing I knew it was 3:30PM. We were slammed today. It was one of the busiest days yet, which is saying a lot considering how busy each day has been. This is a total turn around from what I was used to. I'll admit that I do like it. I enjoy being busy for multiple reasons. Namely, I just like feeling productive. I've discovered that busy-ness comes in waves. Just when you begin to feel settled and develop a pattern, things pick up.

I have a lot going on right now, and normally, I might feel the need to stress about it but I well remember the days when I hoped for something to do. The Lord allowed me a lot of "down time" last year. I was given a significant amount of time to just be and to rest. I needed it and He knew it, so He cleared off my plate for me. I was pretty much responsible for getting myself to and from work and for making sure I kept breathing. That was about it. My productivity level dropped drastically, and I surrendered all personal responsibility to my parents. They were so kind to pretty much do everything for me. And so I was given the time I needed to rest and be revived, and slowly but surely the Lord began handing things back to me.

I've always liked responsibility. I've liked to be in charge, too. I like when people are counting on me to get things done, so I've always been one to volunteer to take on tasks. Well, my task basket is pretty full right now and I couldn't be more glad about it. As crazy as things may be, as long as my to-do list is getting, I'm grateful for each item that is being added. I'm grateful that God has been so kind to entrust me with these things, too. But I know that it won't take long before I look up and my list will be checked off. My current tasks will be complete and new ones will be added. They come in waves, too. A pattern is established only to be re-established and really, the only pattern is the pattern of change.

I quite like these shifts. I appreciate the times when God gives me rest. When He clears things away for me so that I can simply be. When I don't have responsibility or demands and can recover and relax. And I'm grateful for the times that are busy, too. When He gives us special tasks to accomplish and then teaches us as we work our way through them. And maybe, rather than trying to find a pattern in life, we just need to find a balance. A way to rest in the chaos and to be productive in the stillness. I don't know the trick to it, but I'm hoping to figure it out. And I'm so thankful that God will grant us rest or responsibility when the time is right and when He knows we need it.

#367 - For a schedule full of good tasks!

"To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God. God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past." - Ecclesiastes 5:19-20

Comments

Popular Posts